Saturday 20 September 2014

Doctor Who: The Crawling Terror (12th Doctor novel)

Well, it took over a week to read this book, at just under 200 pages I'm angry with myself for taking so long.

The reason I think it took so long is simply because of the layout of the story on my reader.  It was extremely difficult to follow the story and characters, as one sentence would be set at a different location with different characters and then the next sentence would be a different location and characters talking that I grew confused.

But i persevered and finished the book with a sigh of relief.

If you are squeamish about bugs and insects please note, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK BEFORE BED! Seriously creepy nightmares of giant spiders crawling all over me, urgh.

So, the story itself.

The story in itself is quiet good, not up to the TV show standards but still a good little read.There's plenty of "typical doctor" moments. You can sometimes imagine that this is an 11th Doctor story and not a 12th Doctor one. The setting is very descriptive so you can picture the scenes well as you read. Clara's character is very true to the character in the show, which is something I liked.

There was a Harry Potter reference which I loved.

There was a few errors I found whilst reading. Here we go, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Chapter One:

 "To Kevin's horror he realised that there was nothing left of the flesh of the animal."

yet the next sentence says:

"All that was left was skin and bone."

How is that possible? If there's no flesh on the animal how can there be skin left? Isn't flesh skin? 

Another error is words out of order.
"...on you as you as soon as you..."

Another thing I found hard to believe was that there's a point in the story that is set during the second world war, everyone knows about the blackouts, yet one character in the story in that scene didn't. I find it extremely hard to believe that someone would think during those circumstances. 


My favourite character in the whole story is young Private Sanford.

Overall the story is good, the epilogue is a nice touch. However the layout for me on my reader made this not so enjoyable to read, so I recommend if you are a big Doctor Who fan and like the books, make sure you actually buy the book and not download it onto a reader. 

I give this novel 3 out of 5 stars. There is room for improvements.

The next book I will be reading and reviewing is.........

Catch Me When I Fall by Vicki Leigh
release date: 23rd October 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment